Shopify has emerged as the non-Amazon de-facto eCommerce platform. Recently, I wrote an algorithm that navigated 250+ Shopify websites and began to track down the tech stacks that were powering these businesses. Below is a list of top tech stacks and startups to watch.
- Klaviyo - Simply stated, Klaviyo is the #1 personalized SMS and Email management platform. Using Klaviyo, you can configure workflows that trigger personalized communication using your customer's preferred channel. 260K+ merchants rely on Klaviyo. It is rated #1 on G2 as well.
- Recharge Payments - Recharge is the company that powers most of the Shopify websites with subscribe and save features. 50M+ merchants rely to establish subscription features.
- Yotpo - Yotpo powers the shopify sites with review/rating features. While Yotpo has a company offers many features, our crawler found that most of the Shopify sites used Yotpo for reviewing and ratings. Surprisingly, more sites used Yotpo than Bazaar Voice who is another big player in this place.
- Shogun - In more advanced startups Shogun the headless commerce platform made its presence felt. Shogun offers several web experience components that sit on top of the Shopify website. You can create front end and backend pages, test and optimize them, and create advanced sites beyond the cookie cutter Shopify themes. It requires the merchants to have certain level of tech awareness and sophistication to use it.
- Destini Store Locator - If the startup has its products in physical retail stores like a Walmart or others then the Destini Store Locator worked like a product locator. Like with every product locator, Destini is only as accurate as retailer's ability to surface the date and merchant's ability to have a fairly good retail distribution mechanism.
- Mailchimp - Mailchimp was a distant second in the Email marketing and communication space. Klaviyo was an unanimous #1 and within the Shopify ecosystem Mail chimp had its presence on 50% of the crawled websites. Having said that Mailchimp is one of the leading personalized marketing company.
- Refersion - While most of the startups outsourced their affiliate marketing to the regulars like Impact, Shareasale, or Commission Junction, Refersion was a surprising find as it allowed the Shopify websites to effectively manage influencer and affiliate marketing. In most cases, Refersion's primary use case was to help with Influencer Marketing.
- Hotjar - Hotjar has been used for a long time to track user behaviors on a website and optimize websites. It is not surprising that they were found in several shopify sites.
- Smile.io - Smile.io is trusted by 100K+ smaller merchants to help manage rewards and loyalty program. Most Shopify websites that offered rewards/loyalty relied on Smile.io.
- Hextom - Hextom basically offers shopify apps to solve for many use cases ranging from a free shipping bar on the top to translation tools to workflow automation and currency conversion tools
Once you go past these tools, the long tail included
- Back In Stock - a company that offered notifications for when the products where back in stock.
- Judge - a distant second in product review management from Yotpo.
- Hulk Apps - which basically has expertise around Shopify and has built a lot of apps, tools, widgets.
- No Fraud - a startup that allowed for fraud prevention
Like this and want more in your mailbox?